Healthy, Light and DELICIOUS!
Who doesn’t crave a big ole’ plate of pasta from time to time? I’m sure most, if not all of us developed a close relationship with macaroni and spaghetti in our toddler years! But as much as we might crave the versatile noodle, a great many of us steer clear because of allergies, food sensitivities or personal dietary choices.
Fortunately, there is a way to enjoy all of the warm and comforting “pasta” dishes that we so often yearn for; and I’m not talking about the rice, quinoa or corn pasta that line the gluten free aisles of your local market (although they certainly have their place in the kitchen).
I’m talking about a new breed of pasta–veggie pasta!
This recipe was made using an easy to use and inexpensive tool that turns fresh vegetables into noodles–a Spiralizer!
Not only do the fresh vegetables turned noodles add bundles of nutrients to your favorite dish, they also add new textures and colors! Now you can build your dish around fresh vegetables and don’t have to hesitate when you want to say, “I’ll have seconds please!”
But don’t worry if you don’t have a spiralizer, for this recipe you can use a grater and grate the zucchini lengthwise and it will be just as satisfying. Just keep in mind that it is important to squeeze out any excess water in the zucchini.
Here is a great video that demonstrates how to shred your zucchini and why you must get rid of any excess water to create the perfect pasta!
Recipe for Zucchini Pasta with Pesto and Grilled Shrimp
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 medium zucchini put through the spiralizer (or grated lengthwise)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 tblsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 10 cherry tomatoes sliced
- 3 tbsp. sliced and toasted almonds
- 24 medium sized uncooked shrimp
- Blackened fish seasoning (store bought or combine 1 tsp. of each: paprika, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, dried thyme, dried oregano)
- In a food processor or blender pulse basil, 2 tbsp. almonds and salt.
- Add lemon juice and 1 tblsp. olive oil and pulse until a thick pesto consistency. Add a few drops of water if necessary. Add salt to taste.
- Coat shrimp with blackened fish seasoning. Skewer and grill on medium heat 3 minutes per side.
- In a skillet, heat remaining 1/2 tblsp. olive oil and add zucchini noodles and crushed red pepper. Saute until tender, approximately 8-12 minutes.
- Add cherry tomatoes until warm. Approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Plate and top with pesto and toasted almonds. Serve with grilled shrimp on the side.
It is always best to use fresh organic ingredients!
Serves 4. Enjoy!