Beets Are A Superfood With Good Reason!
Did you know that eating beets can actually help protect against age-related diseases?
It’s true! This is because beets contain a high amount of betalain (also responsible for their wonderful red pigment). According to an article published in “Food Research International” in July 2011, betalains protect fats against oxidative damage. And it is well known that oxidative damage/stress is a major contributor to age-related health conditions and diseases, including:
- Heart Disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
Additionally, betalains have anti-inflammatory properties which can help to ease many types of chronic pain conditions and syndromes.
Now all of that is pretty impressive, but the best reason to make beets part of a healthy meal is that they are delicious! Here is a colorful and easy recipe that can be appreciated both for its flavor and health benefits!
Recipe – Roasted Beets with Garlic
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
- 4 Large Beets, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 bulb of garlic (about 10-15 cloves)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Instead of garlic, try 1 ½ teaspoons dried tarragon or 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place sliced beets, olive oil, and garlic (tarragon) in a bowl and toss until beets are coated.
- Place beets on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
And Remember…Always Organic!