Re-Educating Your “Disease Genes”
By Dr. Michelle Kmiec, OHH Founder
Could so-called “healthy foods” be the true cause of the “Disease Gene”? In the article, ‘Is it really Genetic or is it “Life-Styletic”?‘, I talked about how the government does not support real cures for health conditions such as diabetes, autoimmune, cardiovascular, cancer and obesity.
Instead, their premise lies with supporting Big Pharma, and now…
Genetics is the latest blame for these diseases!
Now, I am not denying that there may be a “cancer” gene or any other disease-causing gene for that matter. I am simply asking that another possibility is considered.
Allow me to use a simple analogy:
Your genes are much like the circuit breaker in your home. When something in your home goes amiss, a circuit shuts off. You then remedy the situation by simply turning the circuit back on. However, this isn’t a true fix because it is likely that in only a short amount of time the circuit breaker will be triggered again. The true fix can only occur when you find out why the circuit shuts off in the first place. Once you understand the root cause of the problem and are able to remedy the situation, then you have “cured” the problem.
So, the question that we should really be asking is why do disease genes “turn off (or on)”?
To help answer this question, let’s apply some simple logic to the following illustration using a product that most of us are very familiar with.
Campbell’s Soup Company was founded in 1869 and has been an American favorite ever since. Their Cream of Mushroom Soup is both a popular meal and recipe ingredient, so we’ll use this for our example.
The list of ingredients found on the can of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup is as follows:
Water, Mushroom(s), Wheat Flour, Vegetable(s) Oil (Corn Oil, Cottonseed Oil, Canola Oil and/or, Soybean(s) Oil), Cream, Food Starch Modified, Contains less than 22% of Salt, Whey Dried, Soy Protein Concentrate, Monosodium Glutamate, Dairy Blend Dried (Whey, Calcium Caseinate), Spice(s) Extract, Yeast Extract, Garlic Dehydrated
To make it easy for you, I highlighted some ingredients that have been found to cause adverse health issues, including cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular conditions, and allergies. (Side note: All allergies cause inflammation within the body, and inflammation plays a major role in the development of disease).
I have a strong feeling that the original Campbell’s Mushroom Soup (back in 1869) was made with more real and unprocessed ingredients than the version of today!
Unfortunately, we have gone from an age in which our meals were made with whole unprocessed foods to the world full of fast processed non-foods! And food offerings and ingredient lists are not the only changes we have seen in recent years…there have been great changes in the state of our health! With an increase in every major health condition, including an increase in cancer diagnoses, along with record-breaking amounts of prescription drugs being prescribed each year, what I really want to know is… just what are the ingredients found in the foods that people eat every day, and could those ingredients be a factor in our health problems?
And more importantly…is there a correlation between the ingredients in our food and the so-called “disease” gene problem?
Now to be fair, Campbell’s has recently come out with their ‘Healthy Request’ line. This was a direct response to public pleas for healthier soups!
Awesome right? Well…let’s see…
Here’s the new “Healthy” list of ingredients:
Water, Mushroom(s), Food Starch Modified, Cream, Corn Starch, Vegetable(s) Oil (Corn Oil, Cottonseed Oil, Canola Oil and/or, Soybean(s) Oil), Wheat Flour, Sugar, Soy Protein Concentrate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrose, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Spice(s) Extract, Maltodextrin, Flavor(s), Garlic Dehydrated, Mushroom(s) Powder, Calcium Lactate.
Sadly this “healthy” soup doesn’t look too promising either!
(But before we continue, what exactly is (are) the “spice(s)”? Is it one or more than one spice. Don’t they know? Is it a secret?
And what is (are) “flavor(s)”? Again, how many flavors are we talking about here? Somebody must know the answer! And furthermore, what “flavors” are we talking about here? Shouldn’t the flavor be mushroom since this is mushroom soup? And speaking of mushroom(s), don’t they know how many mushrooms they use? Why use “(s)”? Is it sometimes only one mushroom?
So back to the subject at hand…what we have here is misleading ingredients that sound “good for you”, but that is far from healthy.
The “not as healthy” soup version clearly has MSG listed as an ingredient, whereas, the “healthy” version does not. But does this mean it is MSG free? Let’s find out, and while we are at it, let’s take a closer look at some of the other ingredients.
Here is a brief rundown of most of the highlighted ingredients. I also included handy links for more information. (And for even MORE information, see Related Articles at the bottom of the page.)
Food Starch Modified
- Chemicals used to “modify” food (usually corn) are known carcinogens.
- May cause mild to severe allergic reactions
- Has caused organ failure
- Linked to cancer and heart disease
Disodium Inosinate & Disodium Guanylate
- MSG “Replacement”
In the United States, the FDA allows companies to label their products “No MSG added”, despite the fact that the ingredient list may show MSG aliases and/or similar MSG-like food enhancers (Misleading and Deceptive Labels). These food enhancers have been linked to the same health issues as MSG.
- Used as a thickening agent, it is a processed sugar made from starch, usually corn starch. The biggest issue surrounding maltodextrin (now found in everything-even “health” foods) is that it is made from modified corn. More and more studies are now proving that Genetically Modified Foods can cause cancer. Furthermore, it is yet another sugar added to our already sugar saturated society! And I haven’t even talked about high fructose corn syrup (HFCS)! Did you know that both maltodextrin and HFCS rank high on the Glycemic Index (GI)? On average, 105 and 75 respectively (over 70 is considered high) making both of these products extremely dangerous as they have been linked with diabetes, obesity, and cancer.
- Another sugar AND another corn product! This one with a GI of ~90!
And this soup example is only ONE out of thousands! I recommend taking a field trip to your local grocery store and randomly reading the ingredient labels found on other canned goods, packaged and “ready-made” products and snacks. Basically all of the food products found in the middle aisles of the store!
Since the government and the FDA do not see fit to ban these poisonous substances from approved ingredient lists, what can we do to protect ourselves?
Well, we can start by re-thinking and re-educate ourselves as to what healthy really is, and then choose to eat the way nature intended…
Only real organic whole foods, as opposed to the chemically processed non-foods presented to us in cleverly marked packages.
Take a look at what’s in your kitchen. And as you read ingredient labels don’t forget the saying, “If you can’t pronounce it…then don’t eat it!”
Your “disease” genes won’t know what hit them!
- Who’s in Control of Your Life?
- Emotional Stress: Modern way of Life
- Truth about Insomnia, Depression & Anxiety
- Is it really Genetic or is it “Life-Styletic”?
- Monsanto’s GMO Corn Linked To Organ Failure, Study Reveals
- The Shocking Truth About “No MSG Added” Labels Big Food Is Hiding From You
- Understanding Foods Labeled ‘Modified’; What Is Modified Food Starch and Should It Be Avoided?
- FDA Guidance for Industry: A Food Labeling Guide
- Unhealthy Vegetable Oils? Does Food Industry Ignore Science Regarding Polyunsaturated Oils? Implications for Cancer, Heart Disease
- Genetically modified food unsafe: Scientists
- Study Shows GM Food Linked to Cancer
- Eating GM Food Could Give You Cancer Says Scientist
- Potential Health Hazards of Genetically Engineered Foods
- Chemicals Used on Genetically Engineered Foods Linked to Cancer, Miscarriage
- Largest Ever Autism Study Identifies Two Genetic Culprits
- MSG, Cancer, and Your Heart
- Interview with Dr. Russell Blaylock on devastating health effects of MSG, aspartame and excitotoxins
- MSG and Cancer
- Autism and ADHD Linked to Addictive Food Additive
- ADD & ADHD Health Center (WebMD)
- Study: Diet May Help ADHD Kids More Than Drugs
- Food Additive Combinations and ADHD
- Sensory and autonomic nerve changes in the monosodium glutamate-treated rat: a model of type II diabetes
- Could MSG Sensitivity Affect You?
- High GI diet causes cancer, diabetes
- Global cancer rates could increase by 50% to 15 million by 2020