Welcome to Online Holistic Health Radio!
“Bringing You REAL Health Talk…for REAL People!”
Every week, topics covering a variety of health conditions will be discussed along with Holistic Health Options!
Today’s topic included: Dr. Kmiec answers questions from an email regarding soy, dairy, wheat, magnesium, calcium, pain and Ibuprofen, and much more!
[Note: Any words surrounded by ‘…’ indicates paraphrasing to ensure confidentiality. Descriptions surrounded by (…) indicates added information so all those who are listening to the program and/or reading along can better understand the context]
Questions from an Email:
Hello Dr. Michelle , I was at the ‘workshop where you were a speaker‘ and felt your presentation was informative, interesting, etc. I loved the exercise class also (I teach a restorative class called Morning Balance, and another called Body and Soul)
I signed up for your program (Holistic Lifestyle Program that will be launched March 9th, 2015); I was reading through your hand-out and looking at the nutrition , I have a few questions:
What is your opinion of soy? also I did not see fish listed under foods. Which do you think is better coconut, almond or raw dairy?? Is there a brand of coconut or almond that you would recommend.
What do you think of plain , whole yogurt?? Dairy is one of those foods that I can’t decide if I think it is a healthy food or not . Also what about legumes and grains??
I had a injury to my ankle , probably 7 years ago now. I have 5 titanium screws in my ankle since then . They did reconstructive surgery. I shattered my talus bones and dislocated my ankle. I love to exercise, jog and do yoga and I have a couple of Billy Blanks (old) work-out tapes I do sometimes. I usually jog a couple of mile on my dirt road in the Am and do a tape or yoga for 40 min before i jog. do another mile after work and then a couple of miles on the treadmill (walking)
Sometimes my ankle is swollen and painful. I just went back to Physical therapy for about 5 weeks in Nov.and Dec, and they gave me exercises to do a few , for a few weeks quit doing them and after yesterday I am doing them again.
My natural Path has me taking fish oil to help with inflammation and I take 2,000 mg of Vitamin D.
I started taking Magnesium 150 mg last night. I like trying to get my nutrients from food but I am 58 and I am wondering if I should start taking more supplements. calcium , etc. They have told me I have arthritis in my ankle from the traumatic injury, I do not want to take ibuprofen all the time and I don’t .
Do you have any recommendations?
Thanks again for your time and presentation at the workshop . Teresa
Questions Dr. Kmiec did not answer were about fish, and specific brands of coconut and almond milk. 🙁 This was an oversight and will be addressed in the next program! 🙂
Links that correspond to the 47 minute program are:
– Soy: Xenoestrogens vs. Phytoestrogens: Xenoestrogens are found everywhere now in our environment, and are a major player in women’s cancer risks. They are very different from phytoestrogens, which are healthy for the body. The body knows what to do with phytoestrogens, but not so with xenoestrogens. Sadly, many MD’s do not seem to acknowledge the difference. A good link that helps explain the difference can be found here.
- Holistic Health Radio – How Stress Affects Your Health
- Holistic Health Radio – How Perception and Thoughts Can Cause Inflammation
- Holistic Health Radio – Pain (from overuse, injury, or surgery), and How A Specific Supplement Can Help
- Holistic Health Radio – How Scar Tissue and Inflammation Can Affect Your Health
- Holistic Health Radio – What Everyone Should Know About Detox & Parasites!
- Holistic Health Radio – How I Cured Myself From MS Naturally Intro