Could This Be A Cause Of Autoimmune Disorders?
Now, there are other concerns for vitamin deficiencies besides self-induced stress; such as the case with methyl bromide (MeBr); a widely used insecticidal fumigant. MeBr is an odorless and colorless gas that isn’t just “any” insecticide.
It’s one that can virtually kill every insect known to man.
The thing is, MeBr was not selective to only insects. Its killing power reached beyond insects to reach animals as well such as: mice, squirrels, lizards, and birds to name only a few.
The scary thing about MeBr is that once it hit the air, it was quickly evaporated. Any taste or odor on foodstuff (meat, vegetables) was also undetectable to anybody eating it!
Thousands Sick with Neuropathy
Thousands of people in Japan became sick with a neurological disease known as ‘subclinical myelo-optic neuropathy’. Oddly, the symptoms of this disease presented much like pantothenic acid deficiency.
Was this neurological disease caused by MeBr? Could the use of MeBr be the cause of a pantothenic acid deficiency?
Not surprisingly, the Japanese did make a connection between MeBr and pantothenic acid deficiency that isn’t very well known.
Dr. Yoshikazu Yomura, a neurologist from Japan, stumbled upon a possible connection between the use of MeBr as a fumigant and pantothenic acid deficiency by discovering that MeBr, in fact, caused a transformation of pantothenic acid into some unknown substance by the use of infrared spectrophotometry.
Those that were then given pantothenic acid improved significantly.
United States Slow to Make the Connection
However, here in the United States, little if any attention was given to this connection.
Luckily, the EPA has phased out the use of MeBr, but not for health reasons. It has been phased out because it was shown to deplete the ozone layer.
As of Jan.1, 2005, MeBr is no longer being used.
There are many questions left unanswered:
1. Could the problem in Japan have been a problem here as well?
2. I wonder if unknown damage to our soil is yet unknown as well?
3. I also wonder the implications of the long-term use of MeBr (among others…that are still in use) on our health that is being blamed on an “unknown cause” like: multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (also called ALS or “Lou Gehrig’s disease”), Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s or other neurological autoimmune disorders including cancer?
Unfortunately, we will most likely never know the answers to these questions, but if you’re smart (and I know you are!)
…You have to wonder why we will never know.
- The “Toxic” Vitamin D?
- Vitamin B15 is “Unsafe”: The FDA Contradiction
- What If Antibiotics Caused My Autoimmune Disorder?
- Neurological and autoimmune disorders after influenza vaccination